In 1 Timothy 2:1-2, the apostle Paul says, “I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.”
Most of us realize that we should be interceding for our country’s leaders. But sometime we have difficulty knowing what to ask. Below are a few suggestions.
Pray that our elected officials would:
- Recognize their personal sinfulness and need for the cleansing power of Jesus Christ.
- Understand their inadequacy for the task before them and their need to pray for God’s wisdom, knowledge and courage.
- Reject all counsel that violates the spiritual principles of God’s Word and be willing to trust God to lead them in the right direction.
- Resist the pressures of those who would lead them astray or tempt them to disobey the Lord and His will for their lives.
- Work to reverse the trend towards ungodliness in our land and to restore America’s Christ-centered values.
- Be prepared to make godly choices in the best interest of America, regardless of the cost.
- Rely on the Word of God and prayer for strength and success.
- Maintain dignity, honor, trustworthiness, and righteousness in office.
- Strive to be a godly example to the men, women, and children of this land.
- Remember that while in office, they are accountable to God for their attitudes, actions, and motives.
If God’s people pray consistently and passionately for those in authority, the entire nation will be affected. “The effective prayer of a righteous man [or woman] can accomplish much” (James 5:16).